The ‘Water Ways’ is a journey of walking and experiencing together the path of the transboundary waters from Jericho to the southern Arava. Together we will study the technical, social and spiritual impacts of transboundary water cycles, encountering the main issues of water scarcity in this desert land and the political implications of the current water management in these regions.
We wish to deliver information throughout the journey and create a transformational experience of the joint journey. Forging a strong group feeling through activities during the trip.
What are the water resources in the region, where are they situated?
How is the water distributed today?
What is the policy regulation regarding water distribution?
What is the water technologies used on both sides?
These questions will be our leading goal, and together with a homestay, local food and home hospitality we’ll experience the region from a very personal point of view.
- 10:30-11:00 – Arrive at Jericho – introduction
- 11:00-11:30 – Get to know each other games
- 11:40-12:40 – Overview about Palestinian water situation (west bank only)
- 13:00-14:00 – Lunch at Auja – Mujaddara, and salads
- 14:00-17:00 – walk to Auja Spring, 45 minutes each direction.
- 17:30 – Return to Auja eco-center, check-in
- 18:30-19:00 – Dinner (Vegan Makloubeh, chicken, salads)
- 20:00-21:00 – Circle – Sum up of the daily impressions.
- 07:30-08:30 – Breakfast and check-out
- 08:30-09:30 – Drive to Wadi Kelt
- 09:30-13:30 – Wadi Qelt hike
- 13:30-14:30 – Lunch at Abu Akram Bedouin tent – Zarb
- 15:30-17:00 – Sinkholes on the Dead Sea shore
- 19:30 – Arrive at Lotan
- 19:30 – Dinner, campfire, free evening at Eco Kef
- 07:30-08:30 – Breakfast
- 09:00-09:30 – Check out and pack the bus
- 09:30-11:30 – Walk from Lotan to Ketura Date fields and agricultural center, explanation about open land, agricultural uses, water scarcity.
- 13:00-13:30 – Lunch at Neot Semadar
- 14:00-16:00 – Water recycling and passive cooling systems
- 16:00-17:00 – Summary and closing session.